People ages 35-54 are the fastest-growing group of RV owners—and that’s a business opportunity for you. Here are five essential questions to ask your customers before offering an RV quote.
When asked to imagine the “average” RVer, many people think of a retired couple sitting inside an older motorhome in a sea of other motorhomes in an RV park outside Reno.
That may have been accurate 40 years ago, but today’s RV enthusiasts are younger and more active, and they love the idea of spending their spare time outdoors with friends and family. For today’s RV owners, it’s the outdoor living space and the experiential aspects of owning an RV that are so appealing.
There are many trends in RV ownership, including smaller, lighter RVs that can be pulled behind a smaller vehicle. That said, many RVers have elaborate setups for their home away from home.
Part of the fun is visiting neighbors and seeing their outdoor space. It isn’t uncommon to find a 50-inch television with satellite service, seating for eight at an outdoor table, tiki torches and string lights, potted plants, and more. You’ll also find recreational equipment to fuel the fun, like kayaks and bicycles.
RV parks are evolving with the times, as well. Many have scheduled activities, beautifully landscaped lots, multiple swimming pools and all the other amenities you’d find at a luxury resort.
If you don’t have a lot of experience with insuring recreational vehicles, there are a few key questions to ask your clients to ensure you offer the right coverage:
- Do you invite friends or other visitors to your RV? If the answer is yes, add vacation liability so your client has premises liability coverage for the RV and doesn’t have to seek coverage under their homeowners policy in the event of a premises liability claim.
- What type of equipment do you use with your RV? By adding personal effects coverage, you ensure your client is adequately protected and won’t have to file a claim on their homeowners policy in the event of a loss.
- Do you have a loan on your RV? If so, consider a carrier that offers gap coverage, replacement cost coverage and/or agreed value coverage.
- Where do you travel with your RV? If your customer is going to Mexico, liability coverage must be provided by an insurance company in Mexico. You’ll also want to choose an insurance carrier that offers Mexico physical damage coverage.
- How many nights a year do you spend in your RV? Do you leave your RV permanently parked at a RV park? Full-timers need different coverage than more casual users.
With fast and easy quoting through Quote & Issue™, Safeco is a great market for your RV customers. We offer vacation liability, multiple settlement options, Mexico coverage and personal effects coverage in many states.
According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, 8.5% of U.S. households own a RV. Those aged 35-54 are the fastest-growing demographic of RV purchasers, and nearly 40% of RV households have children under 18 in the house. Make sure your customers know you offer RV insurance, and ask these important questions so they’re protected when enjoying one of their favorite hobbies.
Want more information? Check out these additional resources from Safeco: