Referrals shouldn’t be solely relied on, but they are the best ways to get more business. While many insurance marketers forgo formalized referral programs altogether, those who do have formalized programs often struggle to raise awareness with their referral base.
When your agency gets a referral, it means that you not only provided great service but also gained a raving fan in the process. Considering that a whopping 84% of people trust recommendations from people they know, according to the 2015 Nielsen Global Trust in Advertising Report, creating a formalized referral system should be a huge focus for your agency.
So, how can you get more referrals? Here are 10 digital marketing strategies to increase referrals for your business:
1) Put it in your email signature. Your email signature is text that shows up at the bottom of your emails. Most agents list their contact information, website, fax number, blood type and Social Security number. Yes, by all means, display the basic contact information, but don’t forget to include a link to your referral program.
2) Link it on your social pages, blogs and online listings. Your social pages, blogs and listings are getting traffic too, so remind your visitors to refer you. If you have a formalized program, include a link on your social media pages, blog post conclusions and online listings.
3) Promote it on your website. Include the link to your referral program in your website header, navigator menu and footer. This way, your call-to-action is always on the screen.
4) Blast an email. Find some images, craft some engaging copy and schedule a blast. Run an email marketing campaign to your current clients, solely asking for referrals.
5) Change your forms. Don’t make it a required field, but on all your online forms ask for the name of someone else who might need insurance. Ta-da! Automated referrals.
6) Remarket. Get your program back in front of those who have already visited your referral page. Why not give them a little nudge?
7) Create a local referral program. Want more referrals? Refer other people! Create a page on your website solely for referrals and to highlight the highest quality service providers in your area.
8) Publicize your expertise online. A closed mouth doesn’t get fed. Tell people exactly what your agency specializes in and types of clients you’re looking to attract. You can do this by mentioning it on social media or your website.
9) Text message campaigns. Contact prospects through the device they use the most—their cell phones. Schedule a text message blast to your biggest fans asking for a referral.
10) Thank your referrers on social media. You can promote your referral program by working the social proof angle. Highlight your biggest fans and supporters on social media and celebrate their loyalty with your followers.
No matter where you are in building your insurance agency, referrals should be an essential part of your marketing program. With these tips, you should be able to create a more easily referred business that delights current customers and keeps new ones coming in, all in a fun and automated manner.
Cam Bob III is founder of Infinity Leads, a customer acquisition agency for independent insurance agencies. In 2018, Bob III was named Young Innovator of the Year by British private equity firm CVC Capital in the development of a cutting-edge digital lead generation system for insurance agencies. Bob III is also the author of "The Digital Insurance Agent," a step-by-step guide to generating exclusive leads online.