Snapchat currently boasts more than 100 million daily active users who generate more than 10 billion video views every day, according to digital marketing agency Omnicore.
That’s a lot of interaction your business could be using to its advantage. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million—which is why Snapchat can be more powerful than Instagram and Twitter.
If you’re not familiar with the basics of this social media platform, check out “How Your Agency Can Leverage Snapchat as a Marketing Tool” by Corbin Jackson. Once you feel more comfortable, here are five easy ways your agency can effectively utilize Snapchat in your marketing efforts.
1) Take people behind the scenes. Ever wonder what’s going on behind the curtain? Now’s your chance to give your clients a sneak peek. Snapchat is a great tool for showing your prospects and clients what goes on inside your operation. Give people a glimpse of the atmosphere at your office, what your employees do on a daily basis and projects you’re working on.
2) Use Snap ads to your advantage. A Snap ad is a 10-second, full-screen vertical video ad that appears between Snap stories. With a Snap ad, advertisers give viewers the choice to swipe up from the video to see the full version, learn more or read an article that relates to the video. According to Snapchat, the swipe-up rate for Snap ads is five times higher than the average click-through rate on comparable social media platforms.
3) Use lenses and filters. A Snapchat lens is essentially a goofy animation you can add to a selfie. To activate one, simply press and hold your finger on your face when it appears on your phone screen. Swipe left to select your preferred lens, and follow any prompts that appear—some may tell you to raise your eyebrows, for example, to trigger the animation. You can then tap the capture button to take a Snap, or press and hold on the capture button to record a video. When you’re finished playing, it’s easy to send the results to a contact, or post one to your Snap story.
Businesses can choose to sponsor lenses on Snapchat, but it’s pricey. For a cheaper route, try a geofilter—a singular overlay users can retrieve and add to their Snaps in certain locations. It’s kind of like a digital sticker built directly into the Snapchat program, and normally adds a border, color scheme, label or picture to a Snap. You can create your own on-demand geofilter for prospects and clients to use when they visit your agency—prices start at $5.
4) Create contests or promotions. Everyone loves a giveaway. A great way for your company to utilize Snapchat is to give back to your followers. Consider offering promo codes or discounts to anyone who watches your entire Snap story, or challenge your followers to take a photo with your logo or building.
5) Address relevant issues. Should Tiger Woods just avoid cars in general? Did you see the new Wonder Woman movie? People love to talk, especially when it comes to relevant issues, pop culture and anything going on in the news. Don’t be afraid to be a part of the discussion. Be authentic. Be engaged. Be active. Use Snapchat to share your thoughts on hot topics, and encourage viewers to express their opinions, too.
Haley Corkery, a public relations specialist at Plaid Swan, has more than six years of experience in customer service. She holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa with a double major in journalism and communication studies.